Saturday, October 2, 2010

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez upsets Rafael Nadal in Bangkok

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez stunned world number one Rafael Nadal 2-6 7-6 6-3 to reach the Thailand Open final.

This looks like being another routine win for Spain Nadal, who completed the career Grand Slam at the U.S. Open this month, when he took the opener.

But Garcia-Lopez, ranked 53, won the tie-break against fellow countryman to apply in determining the level before it.

Garcia-Lopez will face Jarkko Nieminen in the final after beating Finn German Benjamin Becker 6-3 6-2.

"I never beat the number one player in the world," reflected Garcia-Lopez. "I think this is the best victory of my career.

"Everything is fantastic For the moment, I am rather surprised .."

Garcia-Lopez, the runner-up to Michael Llodra in Eastbourne in June, found the rhythm in the second set, Nadal made hard work with some impressive groundstrokes and bombard him with flat, wide serve that produced 10 aces in total.

In the third, he continued to apply pressure on Nadal, who had plenty of opportunity to stop the rot, but converted only two of 26 breakpoints.

"I have to blame myself that I did not play aggressive when I had a chance to rest," Nadal said sadly.

"He served well on the break points I lost. Chance after chance he plays. The game is good, especially in the third."

Earlier, unseeded Nieminen, ranked 60, took over against 65-ranked opponent and cruised through the match in just 65 minutes in Bangkok.

Nieminen, seeking a second career ATP Tour title, dominated with sharp groundstrokes against Becker and shoot 76% of first serves in.

The Finn has not dropped before the final set, including a win over Viktor Troicki and seed Jurgen Melzer.

"I have been playing great tennis and I am just looking forward to the final," said the 29-year old.







source : BBC

0 komentar: